Elise’s Story: Refractory Multiple Myeloma
Elise was working and raising two young kids when she was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a type of blood cancer.
In this video series, she shares about every part of the myeloma experience so far, from how she got diagnosed to being a part of a clinical trial (selinexor + carfilzomib + dexamethasone) that’s been working, to diving into how she has been able to live with myeloma.
Explore her incredible 4-part story series below. Thank you so much for sharing, Elise!
Elise describes how she realized something was wrong with her body, and how she had to advocate for herself to get the proper scans and tests done, even after many different misdiagnoses.
Elise recounts the thoughts and emotions that she experienced when she was officially diagnosed with multiple myeloma, and goes into her decision-making path. Elise also describes how she approached getting a second opinion and ended up going with her second opinion doctor.
In this segment, Elise shares how she’s been able to move forward day to day living with multiple myeloma, including the importance of finding a cancer community and how she and her husband approach life together now.
Beth shares her relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma story, and her experience finding a new cancer treatment that finally gave her some relief. She also talks about how she was able to physically, mentally, and emotionally move forward through continuous treatment.
- Name: Elise D.
- Diagnosis (DX)
- Refractory multiple myeloma
- 1st Diagnosis:
- Age at DX: 34 years old
- Extreme pain in lower right back (for a couple years)
- Numbness in groin
- Tests for DX:
- X-ray finds tumor in sacrum measuring 9×6 centimeters
- MRI results show what looks like a giant cell tumor
- PET scan reveals 1-cm lytic lesion, prompting start of treatment
- CyBorD: cyclophosphamide + bortezomib (Velcade) + dexamethasone
- RVd: lenalidomide (Revlimid) + bortezomib (Velcade) + dexamethasone
- Clinical trial
- SKd: selinexor (XPOVIO) + carfilzomib (Kyprolis) + dexamethasone
Thank you to Karyopharm for its support of our educational program. The Patient Story has full editorial control of our content. The interview has been edited only for clarity.
Inspired by Elise's story?
Share your story, too!